Monday, July 25, 2011

Cover VS Cover: Beautiful Creatures & The Caster Chronicles

The English-language covers of Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl's Caster Chronicles books are beautiful in their simplicity.  For this week's edition of Cover VS Cover, I have gathered a cadre of international editions, many of which are equally stunning.  In many countries the first book, Beautiful Creatures, is actually known as 16 Moons, and Beautiful Darkness as 17 Moons.  As always, I hope you guys enjoy checking out the different covers and don't forget to weigh in about which are your favorites! 

English
This set of covers are used in all the English-speaking countries, as far as I know.  I love the Gothic feel of the title font and especially the shading of the swamp-like trees on the first cover, which is definitely my favorite of the lot.

French
  The French cover of Beautiful Chaos/18 Moons is the only one to have been released so far, other than the English edition.  I really like it the best of this set!  I love how perfectly these three covers match, though I'm not sure why the second book has the sunflower... maybe I've just forgotten something important.  Love the first cover.

Bulgarian

One thing I've learned from seeking out covers for so many of these posts: Bulgarian YA covers=yummy.  Love both of these, especially the first one.  A lot of Bulgarian covers I've featured seem to have that imagery with a girl in a dress with long, dark hair.  

German

The German take on The Caster Chronicles... the covers would give me the impression the books are about shapeshifters, if I didn't know better.  But I love how the silhouetted crow (or raven) is now about to take flight on the second book.  I suppose it will be airborne on the third cover?  The model's eyes are really striking.

Serbian

The Serbian cover for Beautiful Creatures *drools*.  I love the slants of light filtering down and, yes, just generally everything about it.  Love the leaning trees, which do have that swampy Southern Georgian or Floridan feel to them.  It's all very Gatlin.  

Dutch
I couldn't find a very good image of the Dutch cover, not one good enough to read the tagline to the left or whatever the logo is at the top... sorry about that. This cover is exceptionally simple.  The font reminds me of the font on the English-language editions-- nice.

Portuguese
Here is-- in my humble opinion-- the best saved for last.  I LOVE this cover-- could not imagine seeing it sitting on a bookstore shelf and not wanting to page through it immediately.  The cobweb tendrils of the tree branches is darkly gorgeous.  

Thanks for reading!  If you have any suggestions for next week's Cover VS Cover theme, be sure to tell me in the comments.  

12 comments:

Jenny said...

Though I do really like the Bulgarian and German covers, the US covers with that amazing type treatment for the titles will always be my favorites. The Portuguese one is beautiful too though:)

Selina said...

I always love your foreign cover posts!

Funny to see the Dutch cover up there. They translated the title into something that means "bewitched" which is not the best choice unfortunately.

Kat said...

@Selina-- Hmm, no, I also don't think "Betwitched" is a fitting title at all. The Dutch cover was a last minute find, and I had no idea what the title translated to-- thanks!

Shelagh said...

Ooooh shiny! I have to say that I think the French covers get my vote. They're simple and striking.

Shelagh
The Word Fiend

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

thanks for sharing these, i like them all! i think i might like the german covers best

Sugar and Snark said...

Oooh definitely the German covers!

Alison Can Read said...

The Serbian one is my favorite. The German covers are beautiful but look too much like all the other covers out there. Don't like the French ones. Do you know what the UK covers look like?

Kat said...

@Alison Can Read-- As far as I'm aware, the UK covers are identical to the US editions. I couldn't find separate Australian editions, either, but sometimes it is difficult to round up all the different covers. I use a variety of different sites-- goodreads, publisher's sites, etc-- to find covers, but here I'm fairly sure the UK covers are the same. :)

@Shelagh-- I like the French covers, too. They are very unique.

Aylee said...

Interesting! My favourite ones of these are the ones that give a clear idea as to the gothic nature of the series, especially the English, Serbian, and Portugese.

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I agree. I like the Portuguese cover the best.

Kat said...

@Aylee-- Interesting! Those are my favorites as well!

@Alexis-- Yes, the Portuguese cover is just so striking.

Unknown said...

You forget to include its Indonesian cover. I think it's pretty ones :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...