Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Top Ten Books I'd Want on A Deserted Island

Top Ten Tuesday, if by some chance you stumbled upon this post and did not already know, is an amazingly awesome weekly blog meme hosted over at The Broke and the Bookish.  The topic for this week's list: top ten books you'd want to have with you to pass the time on a deserted island.  If I was somehow crash-landed on an island in the middle of the Pacific, I'd definitely rather curl up in a hammock with a book on the beach rather than, say, attempt to explore the probably haunted jungle with the giant smoke cloud roaming around in it or create a companion for myself in the form of a soccer ball.


1.
 The Chronicles of Narnia (series) by CS Lewis
Nope, that's absolutely not cheating!  The Chronicles are now bound in one pretty volume.  As I see it, if you're going to be stuck on an island for an unknown amount of time and can only have ten books, you may as well make them very long books.


2.
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
In this thought-provoking and fascinating book, the protagonist Pi is adrift on a sort of floating island in the form of a life raft-- a life raft which he shares with Richard Parker, a Bengal tiger.

3.
The Stand by Stephen King
I've never been able to read The Stand.  But I really do want to, and being stuck on an island would give me plenty of time to take on this monster of a book.


4.
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Endless re-readability potential here.  At nearly 1,000 pages, Avalon would be another very useful brick of a book to have around for entertainment when entertainment is scarce.


5.
Shogun by James Clavell
Another huge epic book I've never read.  But I've heard it's so good.


6.
His Dark Materials (series) by Philip Pullman
Again, not cheating.  I could concentrate on finally puzzling out some of the weirder and more mysterious things in The Amber Spyglass if I had this book lying around on the beach.

7.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
Of course, I gotta have at least one Harry Potter book.  I'm not quite sure why this one immediately came to mind... I guess it's just the most epic, the most satisfying read of the bunch, and an amazing conclusion to the whole wonderful series.

8.
The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
Another series-in-one-volume, yes.  The Lord of the Rings is another series with great re-reading value.  I usually re-read it once a year, as a kind of nerdy tradition.

9.
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
I've only waded through this tome once... would definitely read it again, though.  This is an awesome epic about the building of an English cathedral which spans several generations and is a lot more enthralling than it sounds.

10.
 War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Meh, may as well give it a shot.  Most readers seem to either read and enjoy or attempt and fail to read War and Peace at some point in their lives.


And that is El Fin.  Leave a link to your Top Ten in the comments and I'll be sure to check out your list!

3 comments:

Anya @ On Starships and Dragonwings said...

I've only been able to get about 2/3 through Mists of Avalon, that would have been a great one for me to bring and finally finish!

Here is my <a href="http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.com/2012/11/13/top-ten-books-id-want-on-a-desert-island/> TTT </a> I'm an old follower :D

Liana said...

Potterheads for life though.

Maria Behar said...

Hey, Kat!!

OMG, what a FANTASTIC list!!!!! You have two of my faves -- the Narnia books (which I have yet to read, but I've heard so much about them, I consider them faves because they will be as soon as I read them!! Lol.), and The Lord of the Rings!!! YAY!!!! And of course, one Harry Potter book (now why didn't you include the entire series?) I love the other books, too, again, even though I haven't read them. But I love their plots! (Well, I don't know that much about WAR AND PEACE, to be honest. I did try to read it once...)

The only book I'm not at all interested in is THE STAND, by Stephen King. I just don't like the horror genre AT ALL.

Anyway, GREAT choices here!! You make me want to crash on a deserted island ON PURPOSE just to get to read all of these -- except one -- FAB books!!! : )

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...