Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cover VS Cover: The Forest of Hands and Teeth Trilogy


Cover VS Cover is a new feature I came up with because cover memes are so much fun, and I've recently become fascinated with the differences between US/UK, new/old book covers.  Today we're looking at the many covers for The Forest of Hands and Teeth series by Carrie Ryan.  If you haven't read these books, then I definitely recommend picking them up.  The world Carrie Ryan has created is post-apocalyptic and darkly thrilling... and, you know, zombies.  :) 


US            UK
As far as US vs UK, I definitely prefer the US covers here.  Is the object on the UK cover for the first book a shriveled leaf...?  I'm really just guessing here, I have no idea.  It looks more than vaguely creepy, whatever it is.  The UK for The Dark and Hollow Places (which will be released in April, yay!) looks a lot like the one for the YA novel Forbidden by Tabitha Suzama, I think.  And also like the cover of Claire de Lune in the UK-- wow, sinister-looking hearts must be the next big thing in covers.  All the girls on the US covers look so miserable-- but I guess they have a right to be, lol.  I also found a few international and other covers for the Forest of Hands and Teeth... 
 
French
 Is that title translated 'The Forest of the Damned'? Interesting...I kind of like this one.

 US Paperback
 
This is the US edition I have, but it doesn't fit with the other US covers so well...

German
 I love this cover, though not the fact that they shortened the title like that.  Not very attention-grabbing (never mind. I only took in the huge red lettering, and missed the cool sub- title-- thanks, Mrs. DeRaps!) I also like the dark contrasts of the light and the woods.  It brings to mind the M Night Shyamalan movie The Village.

Italian
This one is so different from all the other covers!  I like how it's mildly melancholy and a little spacey rather than dark like many of the others.

So, what do you guys think?  If anybody has any suggestions for covers to feature in the future, I'd be more than happy to take them.  I'd like to start featuring some newer covers, rather than just my old favorites. Wishing you all a great week!

12 comments:

Mrs. DeRaps said...

The German title is interesting...The forest of a Thousand Eyes. Makes sense given the plot of the book. I kinda like it! And, I actually like the UK books with the objects. Love this series!

Maria Behar said...

What a GREAT idea for a meme!! I LOVE looking at book covers! In the past, I have bought specific editions of favorite books based on the book covers. One example: The Lord of the Rings. There are many editions of these books. My favorite one is the hardcover set illustrated by Alan Lee. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!! I have other editions of these books, too, of ocurse -- this trilogy is one of my favorites! The paperbacks are for easy carrying around with me, because the Alan Lee books are HEAVY. Still, they occupy an honored space in my home library!

The covers for The Mortal Instruments series are also breathtaking! Gosh, I hope they NEVER try to "improve" on them, because, in my opinion, they CAN'T be improved upon -- they're totally AWESOME!!

Keep the covers coming! : )

Laura (All of Everything) said...

I like the US covers but the thorned heart really grabs my attention. It's weird though, because I don't think the edition of Forest.. that I read had any of these covers and for the life of me I can't remember what it looked like!

Kat said...

@Mrs. DeRaps-- Oh, you're right! Stupid me failed to realize that the white lettering below the red 'The Forest' was also part of the title. Cool w/ the German translation-- wish I knew German! :)

@Maria-- I LOVE the Lord of the Rings, and you're right, they have so many awesome covers. I have the 50th anniversary Houghton Mifflin US ones in a box set, and I'm absolutely obsessed with them. The Alan Lee-illustrated set are surely the most beautiful, though you're right-- not the best ones for reading on the beach. I think next week I'm going to feature LOTR covers-- thanks so much for the great idea!!

@Laura-- Hmm, I also have the feeling that I'm missing a cover somewhere. There are so many editions of Forest that I probably am... let me know if you remember which one you read.

SarahEm said...

Have you seen the Italian cover? It is SO pretty!

Kat said...

@sarahem-- Just found the Italian cover on Carrie's blog, and *love* it! I'm adding it to the post now. Thanks! :)

Shannon The Bookstalker said...

I think the German cover is my favorite, but I like the French cover and US Hardcover too! I love this kinds of meme, its so fun to look at all the different book covers and compare them!

Unknown said...

What an interesting idea! Glad you found another excuse to look at pretty covers. Hehe I've often found myself pinning for UK covers thinking they get the better ones but that doesn't seem to be the case on your picks this week. Glad to know North America doesn't always get shafted when it comes to covers! Thanks for stopping by and checking out my IMM. Happy reading!

Caroline said...

The Italian cover is my favorite. It's so different and creative. But a lot of the covers are gorgeous for this series.

Rochelle said...

I like all the US covers except the hardcover of the first book. I think the US paperback cover and the German cover are better.

Nic @ Irresistible Reads said...

US covers are my favourite but I do like the German cover as well. Great post :)

Maria Behar said...

You're very welcome! I'll be looking forward to that, since The Lord of the Rings (and The Hobbit, as well) series is one of my top faves!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...