Friday, December 17, 2010

British Books Challenge 2011

I'm so excited to be participating in the British Books Challenge 2011, hosted by Becky at The Bookette 
You can find out all about the British Books Challenge 2011 by reading THIS post. But in summary, the BBC is a reading challenge which is all about reading British books by British writers. They can be in print or out, new releases or books that have been on your shelves for a while and they can be adult, YA or children's fiction and from any genre. 

There are two entry categories for the challenge:

Home Grown
This is for British bloggers who have access to many British books via their public libraries, fit-to-bursting bookshelves at home etc. The target is to read 12 novels. 

International Friend
For any wonderful bloggers living overseas who wish to support British writers.
You can choose to between:
Winston Churchill - Read 6 books by British authors in 2011
The Royal Family - Read 12 books by British authors in 2011

There will also be the chance to earn yourselves a Crown if you manage to read 50 books by British writers in the year.   Monthly prize packs are generously being provided by a cadre of UK publishers, including Chicken House and Bloomsbury.


As for me, I'm an International Friend (we're a long way, culturally at least, from the UK here in North Carolina ;) ), going for the Royal Family.  Scanning my bookshelf, a good many of the books here are written by British authors, so I hopefully won't have a problem making the count.  As for earning a Crown (reading 50 books)... well, that's a very high aim, but who knows?  I've composed a short list of books by British authors which I hope to enjoy in 2011.   I'll probably happen across a lot more British books over the year, and may not get to all of these-- I just want to make a starting point with this list.  Good luck to everyone else who's taking the challenge!


Sapphique by Catherine Fisher 
Entangled by Cat Clarke 
The Iron Witch by Karen Mahoney 
Scorpia Rising by Anthony Horowitz 
Crusade by Linda Press Wulf 
0.4 by Mike Lancaster 
Malice by Chris Wooding 
Immortal by Gillian Shields 
Naughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman

3 comments:

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I've joined in too, but don't have my full list yet.

Unknown said...

You have a great list there. I am excited to read 0.4 too. I am sad to tell you though that Crusade isn't a British book. I wanted to read it for the challenge too but the Press Release tells me Linda doesn't live in the UK.

If you need another historical recommendation, then I suggest the Other Countess by Eve Edwards because that is fabulous. I love it.

Anyway best of luck and thanks for taking part.

Elisabeth Marie said...

Good luck on this list!
FYI, if you're at all interested in discovering Childrens/YA books you might not have previously heard of (or I've heard some of the books are actually only available in Britain...), I just started my fist reading challenge complete with monthly giveaways! :)
http://ysprincess.blogspot.com/2011/01/1001-childrens-books-you-must-read.html
Keep up the great blogging!
Your follower,
YS Princess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...